Welcome to our Blog!!

The title of our blog is a bit different, but for this oft-moved family we feel like our less travelled roads have in fact made all the difference. Enjoy. The picture up top was taken by us on one of our trips to Central Park.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Miracles on 34th Street (well, close…34 Oakley Ave)

Two quick tender mercies that I wanted to share…

1) A week ago I completely lost my sense of smell and taste. Literally. Ever had that happen before? Talk about really weird. Never had the feeling and if I get it back I know I will never take it for granted again. Nothing you eat yields any satisfaction whatsoever and you feel a little apart from the world because you can’t smell anything. When you eat, you never know when you are full because you can’t properly gauge what is going down. That’s my excuse anyway. In any event, last Sunday our stake presidency was fasting for something and it happened to be a fairly long day as we had some training with Clayton Christiansen (daytime Harvard MBA professor, all other times AASeventy) until later in the afternoon. As we broke our fast, President Carmack offered us some cookies his kind wife had kindly made. As I bit into the cookie, for the next 20 seconds, my taste miraculously came back to me and I thoroughly enjoyed breaking my fast with that scrumptious bite of a chocolate chip cookie. After I downed that first bite and reveled in the brief savor I was allowed to experience it immediately shut down and I have been again without smell and taste ever since. It was incredible. Someone knows what’s going on up there and that was a quick, teaser reminder of that fact. Really cool experience. Now to find my senses.

2) I had been searching for days around the house for my misplaced SecureID from work (the passcode that allows you to access your work server). It was driving me nuts. I finally resorted to paying the boys to find it. When bribery that didn’t work, I got desperate. I was looking in the most obscure places. I got down on my knees and started to look in the shoe bin to see if by chance it had fallen out of my bag and in a shoe. I looked in each shoe - but nothing. It was then that Redford walked in, saw me kneeling on the floor and asked what I was doing. When I told him, he laughed and asked if I had tried praying yet. I actually was about to when he walked in, so I confirmed that this was my plan and that I was going to do it right then. So I moved out of the way of the neighbors sight, closed my eyes and was just about to utter a vocal prayer when I looked straight down and in the heal of one of my shoes was the SecureID. Talk about super freaky weird. What a tender mercy of enormous proportion. I know coincidences happen, etc. but this was real. I knew it and the kids knew it and now you know…the rest of the story.

No comments: